Sunday, November 23, 2008

My New Profession

All right, first thing: sorry, but there are no pictures associated with this post.

I've been working with my cousin, Walt, for two weeks now, and he's been showing me the ins and outs of the Medical Supplies Sales game. If anyone is in tune to my Facebook account or my MySpace account, you would notice that I have been feeling like I'm going back to college with this whole job. The reason being that I have to study all these new medical terms, and parts of the spine and how it relates to your nerves and where these surgeries are taking place in the body. It's not like college in that I am focused only on one major thing: the spine. This is because I am selling tools and implants specifically for back surgeries. So I can kind of sound smart I guess :-b

It is definitely different from anything I have ever done. I have to register with all these hospitals because once we sell a surgeon on one of our products, then we have to be in the Operating Room while he/she is performing the surgery to tell the assistants (Scrub Tech) what tools he/she will be asking for, and also to make sure we don't further mess up someone's spine when the surgery is taking place because it is very specific the size of plates or screws that the surgeon will be asking for. It is amazing how important we are when it comes to the surgery. I never thought that would be the case, but I will be in the OR. And since I will be talking with Surgeons that is why I need to know all the medical terms because they are going to be expecting me to know what on earth they are talking about when I am with them. I guess I should feel lucky that I don't have to try to read they're handwriting!

So what's the OR like? Uh... It's awesome being in there when they cut someone open and you get to see the skin peeled back. Forgive me if I get a bit detailed with all the gruesomeness that is surrounded with these surgeries, but I love me some blood and gore films, so this is like a dream come true to see it in person! They're a lot cleaner than Hostel or Texas Chainsaw Massacre as I'm sure you would think, but still. AWESOME!!!! So I have to be in Scrubs, and wear a mask, and all that jazz when I'm in the OR. I am not allowed to touch anything either, so I have to verbally tell the Scrub Tech the size of the implant or the next tool that is going to be used. I'll be getting myself a laser pointer as ridiculous as that sounds, but I already saw one of Walt's associates use his to perfection. Now it's yet another thing that I can critique when I see it on TV, like how I critique movies, and Sports TV, and Lacrosse, etc... Get it!

I think that Walt will throw me a case or two (that's what we call it when we go in for the surgeries) when I get back from Utah for Thanksgiving weekend. Then I'm gonna be bangin' on Neurosurgeon and Orthosurgeons doors. And trying to sell them this stuff. Plus, there is a TON of money that can be made, so once I get good at this, I can seriously start saving up huge chunks of $$$ for myself! It's gonna be hard, no doubt, but the fact that I get to see the carnage up close and personal is motivating enough! So that's about it for now. I'm gonna sleep on my posterior side and try to catch some rays and try to prevent myself from radiculopothy and myelopothy. See how my vocabulary has changed!

No comments: